Michael is a children’s author with a chequered past, having previously worked as:
- a radio broadcaster with the ABC
- a copywriter
- a television scriptwriter/producer
- a comedy writer
- and even a songwriter.
But before any of that, he was born in Sydney, grew up in a housing commission flat in Melbourne, and played in a band that almost became famous.
His 70-plus titles include a 20-book series about the funny and exciting sporting adventures of Maxx Rumble, six books about a family called The Undys, a heart-warming first reader called Pig Dude: He Can Do ANYTHING! and the acclaimed picture books Why I Love Footy and Bear Make Den.
If you’d like to know more about Michael’s life, you’re in the right place … because his whole life story is right here. You take over, Michael…
Okay, I will!
I’ve divided my life story into four handy chunks and written a little something about each year. Some quite interesting things have happened, like:
- I flooded my family’s flat
- my family won first prize in Tattslotto
- then lost it all
- I flew in a plane for the very first time … then jumped out
- I formed a band and made video clips that were shown on TV
- I worked as a radio broadcaster
- I got married and had two incredible children who make me proud every day
- and, of course, my first book was published
Start with any ‘life chunk’ you like (but the first one has baby photos)!